Beth Ann Daye Photography: Bio
I've been taking photos ever since I was a little kid with my own little black box camera. My Uncle Leonard, had a Kodak Pony camera. I loved that camera mostly because I was horse crazy but he showed me something that hooked me on the camera for the magic it could perform. He showed me how to frame a landscape scene with some tree branches that were close by. What a difference it made in the photo. From then on (that was a long time ago), I've been taking photos with a new eye and with thought about the composition of the view I was recording.
What I find most exciting is to take a photo really close up and look at it at home. I often find surprises, things I didn't see when taking the photo, like a little fly that was sitting on the flower, or tons of pollen resting on the petals. I love being able to share these little surprises with you.
Now that the day of digital cameras has arrived, I no longer have to wait and wait to see my results.
My professional artistic credits include:
I live by the sea on Beautiful Whidbey Island with my husband who is my best friend and my two Cairn Terriers. Here I watch the eagles, herons, killdeer, kingfishers, hummingbirds, flickers, a multitude of sea birds, whales, porpoises, otters, deer, raccoons, coyotes, crabs, clams, mussels, fish of all sizes and description. I watch the tide come and go replenishing life all around us. Such a blessing!
- 2007: April. One Month. Hung photographic show as Guest Artist at Raven Rocks Studio Gallery, Langley, WA
- 2007: January. Two weeks. Hung four framed photographic prints in Gratitude Show at Bayview Front Room
- 2006: October. Two weeks. Guest Artist at Raven Rocks Studio Gallery, Bayview, WA
- OSU Dept of Horticulture departmental contest
- Three of my photos were selected for hanging in the Department main hall.
- Books Illustrated
- The Well-Tended Perennial Garden by Tracy DiSabato Aust. Timber Press. I drew the horticulturally correct pen and ink line drawings.
- Environmental Hydrology, Andy Ward and Wm. Elliott editors. CRC Press. I created a majority of the computer designed charts and drawings used in this text book.
- Photographer for Department of Geology and Mineralogy at The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- I photographed, developed and darkroom printed countless photos and graphs for publication by professors at the Dept. of Geology at Ohio State University including a text titled "Fossils of Ohio" and many journal articles and conference presentations.
- Laser Video Disc
I produced a video disc of woody plant material while working at the Dept. of Horticulture at Ohio State University
- selected 10,000 slides from over 100,000 slides.
- show an average of 8 views of each tree and shrub.
- contributed appox 700 of my own newly taken photographs for use on the disk.
- Website Design
- Designed and maintain professional website for musical instrument maker.
- Website and Courseware Designer/Developer for 5 years at Ohio State University
- Designed and produced website for Commercial Contractor
I am most contented and at peace when out in nature.